Sunday, July 29, 2012

Ancient Island Wisdom

Friday, we had a Pacific Islander come in for a consultation with a few members of her family.  Her mother was sitting out in the waiting area with me making small talk, and the following exchange occurred: 

Her:  So, do you know what kind of law you want to practice?

Me:  Yes, corporate litigation.  Very dry to most people, but any aspect of law is exciting to me.

Her:  But...(proceeds to tell a long story)

Now, the purpose of this woman's story was to prompt me  to reconsider the type of law I wanted to practice.  Though I did consider it (very, very briefly), she raised some excellent points which I think are worth bringing to the attention of any of my colleagues out there who wish to practice law. 

Point #1:  Too Many Hours Spent Working in Large Firms

This was the main point she wanted to get across.  It is a pretty well-known fact to anyone considering corporate law that when a firm tells you that they "expect all of their first year associates to work 40 hours per week," it actually translates into "in order to be considered for partnership someday, we expect you to bill 70+ hours per week."  She proceeded to tell me that she worked for a brokerage firm, and regretted spending so much time in the office seeking professional success, neglecting her family in the process.  This is an excellent point.  To many, work is definitely not everything in life, and this is something that is especially important to consider if you have a family and want to be a "family man" (or woman, for that matter).  Personally, I don't see marriage visible in the (near) future, so I kind of disregarded this part of her story.  I have no issue working 70+ hours per week if I have nothing better to do with my time.

Point #2:  It's Possible to Live Comfortably in Private Practice 

This is also an excellent point to consider, especially if, after reading the first point, you've decided that an alternative to corporate law is something you need to find.  According to an American Bar Association (ABA) Journal article I read some time ago, approximately 65% of all attorneys in "small" firms are private practice attorneys.  Furthermore, private practice attorneys (who are at least halfway decent) often make an above average income each year, and are thus able to live comfortably while still being able to appreciate aspects of life outside of work.  Once again, I personally would rather not have to worry about money (because I know I'll have enough), and private practice doesn't appeal to me.  I would have to worry about paying employees, renting office space, utilities etc., and I'm not really the management type.  Should I not be able to find a home in a large firm practicing corporate law, I would happily go into business with a partner or on my own practicing a different type of law such as criminal defense or civil suits, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.  If you've gone through the effort to get a law degree, private practice is worth something exploring no matter who you are, even if it is a last resort.  Surely you feel you are able to contribute your services to those who need them, so why not set up shop and take a crack at it?

Point #3:  Why Not Practice Family Law?

This one I disagreed with vehemently.  She explained that with family law, once you've done it long enough, you'll know exactly what to do at all times.  This is a good point, since family law seems like it gets relatively simple after a while.  The same laws and precedent are used over and over, to argue the same issues time and time again.  It seems relatively simple, "easy money" if you will, so why do I disagree with her on this point?  Simply because that's boring to me.  I want to walk into the office and have to deal with a unique legal issue every day.  Okay, maybe "every day" will never happen, but I at least want the challenge of dealing with unique issues every day whether it be negotiating a contract, checking zoning laws, or even dealing with possible copyright infringement.  I don't want to know exactly what to write without having to research it.  Once again, if you don't think corporate law is for you, family law is an excellent option.  Since you'd mostly be dealing with the same situations repeatedly, you'd have a lot of time to dedicate to thinking about where you should go for family dinner, instead of worrying about what to do at the office.  Also, family lawyers are very important for society.  People will get married, and many of those people will get divorced.  Those people getting divorced need an attorney who can help them in one will surely be one of their greatest obstacles in life.  Even I am strongly considering taking family law cases for my pro bono work, since some people can't afford a lawyer to help them with such a daunting task in their lives.

Final Thoughts
Though I am still set on practicing corporate law, putting in very long weeks, and being challenged as a professional, I realize that it's not for everybody.  I know some of you have very different goals and views of what role the title of "attorney and counselor at law" will play in your life.  I felt like sharing some of her wisdom might help bring everything into perspective, and help everyone see different options and how being an attorney can still allow for other important things in life.       

No comments:

Post a Comment